Sunday, June 12, 2011

Just Say No To Big Tobacco Co.

This song was inspired by members of 'Tobacco Fighters and Survivors Club,' a Smoking Reduction and Cessation Group for people living with mental illnesses, which I run. I am a registered nurse. I wrote the song in the hope that it might spark people to look at and express their smoking stories in new and creative ways, using any kind of art form they are personally drawn to, whether it be music, writing, visual arts, drama, comedy, dance, etc. I like to think that the process of looking at and telling a story has potential to lead us humans in new directions. The music video is a collaborative project between myself and the group members, with the small required budget provided by my employer, The Vancouver Island Health Authority. The song was inspired by the poignant smoking stories I hear every week from people who are often angry with themselves for smoking. Approximately 75% of people living with schizophrenia smoke, and people living with mental illnesses in general tend to smoke at more than double the rate of the general population, so these people are disproportionately impacted by the negative consequences (physical, financial, emotional, and social) of smoking. I myself smoked heavily from the ages of 12 to 31, so I know the addiction well. Quitting smoking was one of the most difficult but most self affirming things I have ever done, and I hope this song and video will be helpful to other people. It must be noted that there is a big difference between ...



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIKfEXh51XY&hl=en

Recommend : baby-furniture-nursery Outlet Lacoste Cruise Discounts

No comments:

Post a Comment